F.O. Stanley, one of Estes Park’s earliest residents, built the Fall River Hydroplant in 1909 to provide electric power to the Stanley Hotel, which was originally built to house his frequent visitors and “houseguests.”
Now 106 years old and listed in the Historical Register, the Hydroplant was the exclusive source of the Town’s electricity until the 1940s.
Destroyed by the Lawn Lake flood of 1972, all the equipment is still there as are the historical markers of the flood’s passing.
The Hydroplant is located at 1754 Fish Hatchery Road. It is open 1p-4p Daily except Mondays. Free General Admission all season. Private tours available for a small fee. For more info: 970-577-3762 or visit www.estes.org/museum